Basingstoke, UK – 15 December 2015 – Alpha Micro AMC has added the Lantronix xPico® Wi-Fi SMT embedded device server to its product portfolio, enabling its customers to quickly convert serial ports to Wi-Fi connections and speed the development of wirelessly connected IoT devices that can be monitored via a mobile device, tablet or PC.
The device, the latest in Lantronix’s family of xPico devices, adds a completely integrated on-board antenna with the option to use a u.fl antenna to give additional flexibility and enhanced performance. Additionally, the device comes in a new form factor, for SMT applications, and with a castellation footprint, which allows it to be used with the majority of commonly available PCB processes.
Lantronix is among the leading global provider of smart IoT (Internet of Things) solutions and the module has been created for OEM design engineers / developers that are seeking to create IoT applications that require direct access to device data via smartphone, tablets, and connected PCs.
It has modular certification for FCC, IC, Japan, AU/NZ, as well as regulatory approvals for CE, comes with 256-bit AES encryption and multiple power management modes to maximise battery life.
The module retains many of the unique features of the xPico range, with a simultaneous Soft-AP and Client Mode, that direct local access without the IoT device becoming disconnected from the enterprise wireless network.
Tim Bonnett, Director at Alpha Micro Components says: “This new offering will allow our customers to implement Wi-Fi connectivity without the headache, especially as it has been developed specifically to fit in with device manufacturing workflows and processes.”
He adds: “With a tiny footprint, choice of antenna options, Web Service API and a flexible microcontroller software interface, the new SMT version is now more than ever a perfect fit for IoT devices that need to quickly communicate with the cloud, as well as directly connect via mobile devices.”
- Complete Wi-Fi Connectivity Offload – the module reduces the complexity of the application microcontroller and enables products to be brought through development more quickly, with reduced risk
- Complete Network Protocol Offload – The xPico Wi-Fi SMT has a built-in web server with TCP/IP network stack, enabling the file system and network connection management to be managed without additional application logic being implemented
- Over-the-Air (OTA) Updates – the module enables two-way communication enabling reliable firmware upgrades to be sent over the internet. Custom configurations are preserved during this process.
- Web Service API – its integrated APIs enable communications to / from the connected device to be managed from cloud applications, mobile devices and standard PC internet browsers
- Industrial Ready – the xPico Wi-Fi SMT has been developed to have an extended temperature range, between -40⁰C and +85⁰C
- Small Form Factor: The module measures just 18.3mm x 31.1mm x 3mm, meaning it can be used in applications where both height and board space are at a premium